6 cups low-sodium chicken broth
6 thick slices fresh ginger, plus 2 teaspoons minced
4 cloves garlic (3 smashed, 1 minced)
2 scallions, cut into thirds, plus sliced scallions for topping
3/4 cup dried shiitake mushrooms
1 tablespoon low-sodium soy sauce
1 tablespoon Shaoxing rice wine or dry sherry
Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper
3 tablespoons hoisin sauce
1 teaspoon toasted sesame oil
4 boneless pork chops (1/2 inch thick; about 4 ounces each)
2 large eggs
1 1/2 pounds fresh ramen noodles
1 5-ounce package baby spinach
Shichimi togarashi (Japanese spice mix), for topping
- Combine the chicken broth, 2 1/2 cups water, the sliced ginger, 3 smashed garlic cloves, 2 cut-up scallions, the shiitake mushrooms, soy sauce and rice wine in a large pot. Cover and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat to low and gently simmer, covered, until the mushrooms are soft and the broth is flavorful, 35 to 40 minutes. Season with salt and pepper.
- Meanwhile, combine the hoisin sauce, sesame oil, minced ginger, minced garlic, a pinch of salt and a few grinds of pepper in a medium bowl. Prick the pork chops all over with a fork and add to the bowl; turn to coat. Let marinate at room temperature, 15 to 20 minutes.
- Heat a grill or grill pan to medium high. Grill the pork chops until cooked through, about 2 minutes per side. Remove to a cutting board and let rest 5 minutes. Thinly slice the pork chops.
- Bring a separate large pot of water to a boil. Gently add the eggs in their shells, return to a simmer and cook 6 1/2 minutes. Drain and run under cold water. Peel the eggs and cut in half.
- Return the pot of water to a boil. Add the noodles and cook as the label directs, stirring often. Drain and divide among 4 bowls.
- Strain the broth through a fine-mesh sieve into a separate pot. Add the spinach and stir to wilt slightly. Ladle the broth and spinach over the noodles and top with the pork, sliced scallions and eggs; season with shichimi togarashi.
Fresh ramen noodles are available at Asian supermarkets. You can also use dried noodles — just discard the seasoning packet and boil as the label directs.
Original recipe found here: https://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/food-network-kitchen/ramen-with-charred-pork-7442635